Friday, January 12, 2007

skype shmipe

I notice that, according to Skype's website, I cannot use their internet calling service to contact the emergency services. Well that is just as well - I can picture the scene:
  1. I notice that the building in which I live is burning down.
  2. Seeking refuge in my room, on the top floor, I boot up my PC, enter the password.
  3. I wait for a few minutes whilst the harddrive whirrs around and the virus checker turns itself on and off.
  4. I reinstall the wireless network, which is always down.
  5. I double click the skype button.
  6. I enter the number on the keypad.
  7. I plug myself in to the adjustable headset
  8. 'hello, which service do you require?' hello? is this a prank call?
Please note I'm not yet burnt to a crisp yet, just immensely frustrated and confused because it's impossible to tell if the person on the other end of the line can hear you or not. When I try to sort it out using their help system they say that my new microphone must be faulty. Oh yeah, then how come I can make a ten minute perfect quality sounding recording using it to an mp3 file, but just not down the phone, you drongos????? Me, I can hear them fine. I think it must be to do with the way 'broadband' or ASDL works, in that you can download much more than you can upload at any time. I'm just fed up that I've invested 20 pounds in more useless technology. But at least this time it was only 20 pounds.

No comments: