Monday, January 01, 2007

Reflections

The new version of blogger.com, coupled with the New Year, causes me to evaluate my weblog (I hate the word blog) so far. A whole year, and about 20 posts to show for it. I really should be better at this.

It's not like I'm new to the net. I remember way back in the day, when Hotmail was an independent company, before Microsoft bought it. And before that, before Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator, when there was nothing on the web but some pages about physics and some pictures of a dinosaur. And before the web, when the future was called Prestel, and it had a multi-user dungeon called SHADES, that was a bit like Second Life, but with text entry. With all my knowledge, I should be a multi-million earning web entrepreneur by now.

I suppose that, although I do get very excited about these developments, I've never really had the resources or the inclination to fully exploit them. I mean, I only acquired a broadband connection a month or two ago, and haven't used it so much. I enjoy reading weblogs, but am too busy/lazy to write in mine all that often. Plus I was influenced by books such as Silicon Snake Oil, by Clifford Stoll. I wonder if any of the civil servants about to spend so much tax payer's money on e-initiatives or the National Identity Register have read that. I suppose that I wouldn't like to invest too much of my free time in something that could still collapse in on itself.

Still, I still enjoying using my blog as a means to occasionally go off on a rant, and there's also the diary aspect that I enjoy. It should be helping my writing technique, even though I know it comes across as very pompous when I read it back. But that's just my style :-)

No comments: