Thursday, January 04, 2007

Exhausting

Well, I'm only 1% of the way through the new year and already I'm behind on all my important objectives. And I can only spend a fixed number of hours per day staring at a computer screen before I start to feel ill so the daily blogposts will have to give. Either that or the e-mail... still at least if I post only once a week I will still have more than doubled my post count from last year.

Anyway, Celebrity Big Brother. Hmmm.... as the contestants were introduced I was patiently waiting for David Hasselhoff and Robert Kilroy-Silk to show up, as expected. But neither of them did. Unlike the 2006 version, I don't think that they will be discussing the series on Newsnight or the Today Programme (Today Program - spelling?), nor in the House of Commons. The easy criticism to make is that they are scraping the bottom of the barrell this year but it is normal for only a small selection of the participants to be familiar faces. The rest work their way into public consciousness as the series progrosses. The whole spectacle involves the extent to which these people will go to improve their career prospects. Except for Ken Russell - I am unsure as to his agenda, unless a new box set of his DVDs is coming out. Nevertheless his inclusion guarentees good coverage for the series in the Guardian, at least.

Plus these people at Endemol haven't conquered the world of television by chance - they have deftly addressed practically all viewing demographics in choosing the housemates. I would nominally support Shilpa Shetty to win, though I think that it is inevitable that Jo and H-from-Steps will contest the final. Still there is the much publicised surprise for Friday night... I shan't be watching this series regularly but it will doubtless permeate my consciousness by osmosis. I think it's likely that the people from Endemol will soon graduate to politics - actually when you look at the likes of the WebCameron site maybe they already have!

No comments: