Thursday, January 12, 2006

Big Bother

I started this weblog back in the dark, cold days of early January. Life seemed so much simpler then. Now it is almost mid-January, and I find thinking of things to write about every day an ever increasing strain... so I will whinge about Celebrity Big Brother.

I do not care that these Celebrities do not hail from the A-List - this is what followers of the genre know to expect. True Celebrities (i.e. people worthy of celebration), such as Rolf Harris and Stephen Hawking, have more important things to do with their time. What bothers me most is the unfair criticism that George Galloway MP has received for allegedly neglecting his political duties whilst in the house.

Here is a man who clearly volunteered to appear on the show in order to raise the level of discussion featured above the usual level of tedious flirting and sniping to worthier matters such as British foreign policy. And what do Channel 4 do but cut out all of the political discussion and only screen the catfights between Barrymore and Jodie Marsh? If I wanted to watch people have arguments about cleaning rotas and the washing up I could arrange that anytime at home, without having to switch on the TV.

Channel 4 have lost a golden chance to feature interesting, opinionated discussion and so help dislodge the national political scene from its current sorry state, where all three main parties agree with each other. It bothers me because I have been faithfully tuning in EVERY DAY for AN HOUR to find out what these famous, influential people think of the Iranian Nuclear Threat, Israel post-Sharon and the Liberal Democrat leadership race only to be cruelly disappointed. It seems that Jodie is the main trouble maker, so she has received my vote for eviction. Hopefully, with her gone, conditions next week will be more conduicive to serious talk and debate.

No comments: