Saturday, March 24, 2007

I cannot handle money

Having been out and about doing something socialable every evening this week (highly unusual for me, which is why I failed to budget for it), I woke up this morning with only £24 in my bank account which must last me untill I get 'paid'* (hopefully Tuesday of next week).

Regardless of the perilous state of my finances, today I have already wasted money in the following ways:
  • Purchasing the Weekend Guardian (I could have read it for free on the internet or in the public library but I needed the free wonders of the world stickers to complete my wallchart)
  • Purchased the Big Issue (there's never anything to read inside it but I made the mistake of maintaining eyecontact with the vendor a little too long, so she assumed I wanted to buy it, and I hate letting people down if I can help it)
  • Purchased felefal from the extortianatelly priced veggie cafe in the Old Town (I could have made some myself but last night was a big work gathering and I felt I needed to restore my body salt balances urgently)
I hate the way that the consumer society makes fools of people like me that I spend money on stuff I don't need without even realising it. Maybe I should just stay inside for the duration.

* by this I mean 'receive the next grant installment from the research council' but everyone else refers to it as 'being paid' so whatever

Update: further unnecessary spending -
  • a half of coca-cola (necessary 'entry fee' to watch the second half of the England match in a sky sports bar full of scottish people cheering on their team in blue - Israel, who also played very poorly). This was a listless experience, and easily the biggest waste of money of the day.

No comments: